Skip to content
June 15, 2006 / Dan


My family has been very lucky. Despite the minor illness here or there, we've never had long, chronic, costly illnesses to try and find our way through. In the South, we use the (rather pejorative) term sickly to refer to people who are constantly in and out of the hospital. I can count on my fingers the number of times I've visited the doctor in my adult life, and I'm very thankful and lucky for this. In fact, I had never been to the emergency room until… the accident.

A couple of weekends ago we were all gathered at Lake Blackshear and it was a fun time. Unfortunately, I took a little spill off of a jet ski. Now, I've fallen off of fast moving objects before (including ATVs – ouch) but this one was a little different. It wasn't so much the fall, but the whole handle bar in the stomach before the fall that really got me. It was enough force to break one of the buckles on my life vest (hear that kids, I was thankful to be wearing that vest) so you can imagine what it did to my stomach. A fairly large bruise, some weird fluid pocket, and this really strange hard section that is still expanding.

I didn't go to the doctor when it first happened, that came a bit later, cause I mainly just felt like I needed to take it easy and just let the body heal itself. My parents have this saying that I've come to understand is pretty accurate:

Either you'll get better or you'll get worse. If you get worse we'll take you to the doctor, if you get better, well then that's good.

You can probably see why I didn't go to the doctor much as a child (I was the fourth child too, which I'm sure helped, they had all the hard drugs stocked up from the other kids and new what to do with them). By the time most people decide to trudge on down to get poked and prodded, they've reached the peek of their illness. If they would just wait, it gets better.

Well, I spent the rest of the weekend just taking it easy and trying not to interfere with everyone else's good time, I think I succeeded. When I got home Sunday evening, some things changed.

About 9:30 I got a horrible pain in the back left hand side of my head. I've had migraines before, but this wasn't like that. It was in a very specific spot (yes, even more specific than "behind the eyes"), came on very quickly (about a minute and my head went from fine to what felt like a midget stabbing me with an ice pick), and was very sharp and severe. I took a couple of Advil and went to bed. After about 2 hours of sleep, the headache woke me up. Wait… stop right there. If something wakes me up, it's bad. It's not that I'm particularly a heavy sleeper, I just generally sleep through the night with no problem. And plus, sleep had always cured my other head aches.

I took a few more Advil and tried to go back to sleep, but it was no use. So for the first time in my life, I headed to the emergency room (for myself). After a CT scan and some poking and prodding, they finally gave me a shot of Demerol (goooood stuff, if anyone every asks you if you want this, take it, I was flirting with the 50 year old nurse with my fiance sitting right there) and that made the pain go away. I spent the next two days recovering from the hangover from the shot as well as some Percocet. Everything went fine the next couple of days.

Friday morning at 5:30: I woke up with the headache again. I don't normally wake up at 5:30, so I guess you could say the head ache woke me up. Popped another Percocet, call in to work. Tell them I'll be there in the afternoon. Go back to sleep. Wake up at 11:30 and try to take a shower. Nearly pass out and almost throw up. Decide I probably shouldn't go to work. Jessica insists that she take me to her house. I take some special migraine medication that the doctor gave me and told me to try. After this, I believe that I'm part of some clinical trial and I got the sugar pill. Take another Percocet and go back to sleep, or laying. You can only sleep so much during one 24 hour period. Try to eat that night and nearly throw up at the smell of hash brown caserole (one of my favs). Go back to bed.

Saturday morning I'm better and I've been that way since. But I can say one thing after these past couple of weeks.

Being sick stinks. And I'm very lucky that the guy in India said my CT scan came back ok.



Leave a Comment
  1. Jessica / Jun 15 2006 6:56 pm

    I am sorry for everything that happened. I think it is great that you still appreciate other women, even if it is a fifty year old nurse.

  2. Jim Perdue / Jun 20 2006 8:23 am

    You better be careful. You can’t afford any more problems with your head! Stomach…that’s no big deal; we’ve all got padding there. But the head, now that’s a different story. It’s kind of important and stuff.

    I bet all of this goes back to a time when someone made you eat deodorant. Yep, that’s probably the source of those headaches. He/she should be ashamed.

  3. Dan / Jun 21 2006 2:45 pm

    @Jim: You’re so right… that’s the cause of it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: